Vote in favor of SB12!
- This bill will change the age of majority from 19 years old to 18 years old. All persons under the age of 18 will be considered minors.
- At the age of 18, a person is allowed to join the military, required to sign up for the draft, can serve as a juror and be convicted as an adult, and can move out and live independently.
- It is logical for those who meet these requirements to be able to be considered at the age of majority.
- At the age of 18, a person is not allowed to open a checking or savings account, open a brokerage account, or purchase or rent a place to live by himself.
- Alabama is only one of two states with the age of majority not at eighteen.
- No funding is required, as the age of majority would just be lowered, and all affected areas would be adjusted.